Trump, state and local political leaders react to Minneapolis school shooting
Reaction is pouring in from federal, state and local leaders after the deadly shooting at Annunciation Catholic School in Minneapolis early Wednesday morning, which left two young children dead and 17 others hurt.
Reaction from the White House
President Donald Trump posted on Truth Social, saying he has "been fully briefed on the tragic shooting in Minneapolis" and that "the FBI quickly responded and they are on the scene. The White House will continue to monitor this terrible situation. Please join me in praying for everyone involved."
Vice President JD Vance shared a similar message, saying, "We're at the WH monitoring the situation in Minneapolis. Join all of us in praying for the victims!"
U.S. Department of Homeland Security Secretary Kristi Noem posted to the social media platform X, formerly Twitter, shortly after 9:30 a.m. Wednesday.
"DHS is monitoring the horrific shooting at Annunciation Catholic School in Minneapolis. We are in communication with our interagency partners and will share more information as soon as it becomes available. I am praying for the victims of this heinous attack and their families," wrote Noem.
Response from Minnesota lawmakers
Gov. Tim Walz at a news conference on Wednesday afternoon, called the shooting "unthinkable, but all too common."
"A community behind us, Annunciation Church and School, committed to academics, service and Catholic values, filled with the first days of school, of beautiful children going to learn those values, share with their teachers and classmates," Walz said. "Instead of that joy and that learning, they were met with evil and horror and death."
He added that the state will do what it can to "prevent any parents from having to receive the calls they received today from any school dedicated to children having to respond to a situation like that."
Earlier in the day, Walz posted on social media that the state is "heartbroken."
Former Vice President Kamala Harris said in a social media post late Wednesday afternoon that she spoke with Walz.
"The students, teachers, and community of Annunciation Catholic School in Minneapolis now share a traumatic experience that has affected far too many Americans," she said. "I spoke with Governor Walz this afternoon to share Doug and my grief for the families impacted and our gratitude for the first responders and law enforcement on the scene."
Multiple members of Minnesota's Congressional delegation also sounded off on the shooting.
"I am heartbroken by the horrific violence at Annunciation Catholic School in Minneapolis this morning. My prayers are with the students, teachers, and families, and I am grateful for the first responders who are on the scene," wrote U.S. Sen. Amy Klobuchar, who spoke with reporter Esme Murphy on Wednesday at the WCCO studio.
One of Klobuchar's former staffers had a child who was in the Mass. The former staffer spoke with Klobuchar, who said her daughter was attending the all-school Mass and saw "several" friends get shot in the stomach and neck on Wednesday. Once she was able to get out, she told the father of one of the students shot that his child was injured.
"One of the most frustrating things is that everyone, when things happen, they say 'what can we do' and immediately help those involved, obviously. But, repeatedly, that's where it ends. And I just believe there's more we can do. And I'm not just talking about our state, I'm really talking about nationally, because ... things could be better handled if we had some national rules in place."
"There must be some way, with all of the resources available to our country, that we're able to figure out the automatics - which may not have been used here, but clearly those should not be in the hands of kids - and even some of our more conservative, democratic senators at least supported some age limit on 21 of getting those guns. Then you have doing something about mental health checks and more on background checks," Klobuchar added. "We just don't know the details of who this person was - I don't - but it's never one size fits all with these shootings."
U.S. Sen. Tina Smith wrote on social media her office is "continuing to monitor the horrific shooting at Annunciation Catholic School and I'm in close touch with local officials. Incredibly grateful for the work of the police and first responders in containing the shooter and attending to victims. This is the most horrific nightmare imaginable for the parents who dropped their children off at the first week back to school. My heart is breaking for my beloved Minneapolis."
Minnesota Congressman Pete Stauber wrote, "I am heartbroken by the horrific news coming out of Minneapolis this morning. I am praying for the kids, parents, and teachers at Annunciation Catholic School, and for the first responders on the scene."
"My heart goes out to our neighbors in Minneapolis impacted by the horrific violence at Annunciation Catholic School this morning," said Congresswoman Betty McCollum. "I'm grateful for the swift response by first responders. All Minnesotans join as one in supporting the children, teachers, and their families."
Congressman and GOP Majority Whip Tom Emmer, who also shared President Trump's thoughts with his post, wrote, "We are tracking the reports about a shooting at Annunciation Catholic School in Minneapolis. Our prayers are with the victims, their families, and first responders on the scene."
U.S. Rep. Ilhan Omar shared her thoughts on X.
"I am beyond heartbroken over the tragic news of the shooting at Annunciation Catholic School in Minneapolis. I am praying for all the families impacted by this horrific tragedy. I will continue to closely monitor the situation and provide updates," wrote Omar.
Fellow U.S. Rep. Angie Craig shared a similar message:
"Cheryl and I are deeply shocked and saddened to hear of a shooting this morning in South Minneapolis. We are grateful to the first responders on the scene, and praying for the kids, families and teachers affected by this horrific act of violence. I am in touch with state and local officials and will be closely monitoring the situation."
Lt. Gov. Peggy Flanagan also shared her thoughts.
"My heart goes out to all those affected by the terrifying act of violence at Annunciation Catholic school this morning. I'm grateful to the law enforcement who responded. Please join me in praying for the victims and the families of the Annunciation community."
Minnesota House Speaker Lisa Demuth also joined in, asking the public to "please join me in praying for the children, families and staff at Annunciation Catholic School, and for all of the law enforcement and medical personnel responding to this morning's horrific event."
Republican state Sen. Mark Johnson issued the following statement on the shooting:
"My heart is breaking at the news this morning, and my prayers are with everyone who is affected. There is no place for this kind of violence, and attacks on a sacred place and children are especially egregious. As a state we stand together against these violent acts and the wicked individuals who perpetrate them."
DFL state Sen. John Hoffman, who survived being shot nine times earlier this summer in a politcally motivated attack, said in a statement that "Acts of violence like this have no place. We stand together to protect our children, schools and places of worship. Our hearts and love go out to the Annunciation Catholic School community. No more!"
Minneapolis mayor, local leaders devastated by shooting
Mayor Jacob Frey said he's heard about "a whole lot of hate" being directed at the transgender community following Wednesday morning's shooting.
"Anybody who is using this as an opportunity to villanize our trans community or any other community out there has lost the sense of common humanity," Frey said. "We should be not be operating out of a place of hate for anyone. We should be operating from a place of love for our kids. Kids died today. This needs to be about them."
Hennepin County Attorney Mary Moriarty also issued a statement sharing similar sentiments as other politicians, saying families wanting to reunify with loved ones who were at the shooting site should go to 55th and Lyndale, where members of its victim services team will be available.
Minneapolis City Councilor Katie Cashman, who represents the city's seventh ward, also posted on X, saying, "I am absolutely horrified by the events unfolding this morning, and our office is here to support those who need it. This is a time to hold your loved ones close and check in with each other."
A joint statement was issued by Cashman's fellow Minneapolis city councilors Emily Koski and Linea Palmisano:
"This is a heartbreaking day for our city. Today, we must come together in compassion and support for those directly impacted. Our hearts are with the students, families, educators, and clergy of Annunciation. Please hold our community in your thoughts as we navigate this tragedy together. I want to thank the first responders whose quick and courageous actions contained the threat and prevented this tragedy from becoming even worse."
Councilperson Aurin Chowdhury issued the following statement:
"Neighbors, it's with a profound sadness I share this information about the shooting this morning at Annunciation Church and School. The shooter has been contained. My office has received multiple inquiries this morning and wanted to share more widely in these groups. Follow the City of Minneapolis page and my official page for more updates as information becomes available. My heart is with the students, teachers, and families."
Fellow councilor Jamal Osman called the news "absolutely devastating." He went on to say he is "holding students, teachers, families, and neighbors in my thoughts this morning. No child should ever face this kind of violence."
Another councilor, Jason Chavez, voiced his concern not only about Wednesday's shooting, but also about Tuesday's mass shooting on the city's south side. Hours after that shooting, two more people died in separate shootings, which happened around 8 p.m. and 2:10 a.m. It's currently unknown if those shootings are connected to Tuesday's mass shooting.
"Yesterday, there was a shooting that killed one person and injured seven others at 29th and Clinton Ave South near Cristo Rey Jesuit High School. If anyone has any information, please come forward or send tips anonymously at 1-800-222-TIPS (8477). Unfortunately, this morning, before 8:30 AM, there was another mass shooting. This was at Annunciation Catholic School/Church (509 W. 54th St.). The shooter killed two kids who were the ages of 8 and 10 and injured 17 others (14 of whom were children and two in critical condition). The shooter was armed with a rifle, shotgun and pistol. The city is continuing to ask the public to avoid the area of W. 54th Street from Lyndale to Nicollet Ave. to allow emergency personnel to help victims. There is no active threat to the community at this time. The shooter is deceased. These weapons and acts of violence have no place in Minneapolis or anywhere. My heart goes out to all the children, families, educators and community members who were heavily impacted by this. I'm committed to coming together with all levels of government to address this. The lives of our future generations depend on it."
The Archdiocese of St. Paul and Minneapolis asked its members to "pray for all those affected by the shooting today at Annunciation in Minneapolis."
The Hortman family on Monday night said their hearts are with the victims of the "senseless act of violence."
"Mark and Melissa believed that children should be able to gather in schools safely, that communities should be able to worship in peace, and that families should be safe in their homes," the family said in a written statement.
Mark and Melissa Hortman were killed in politically motivated shootings in their Brooklyn Park, Minnesota, home on June 14.